Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
kckolbe
kckolbe

Assessing the D-Men Empty Assessing the D-Men

2020-04-03, 5:33 pm
Well, I suck at graphics, so to make a little extra money, I decided to write an article. Payouts are not high in this league, so this isn't the most efficient way to do it, but if I can make a few million from doing this, then maybe I can afford a cheap contract and hook my players up just a little bit more.

Currently we have 6 defensemen in the league.  That’s enough for 3 of our 4 teams to have a top line pair, which is great progress, and means that defensemen are no longer as dire a need as they were a day and a half ago, though still needed.  However, numbers aren’t everything, and given that some of our defensemen are going to be very active members and I am extremely competitive, I decided to do a quick “getting to know” section on all of the creates so far.  For shits and giggles, I am dividing them by player type.

Defensive Defensmen
Anrijs Asts (@asts): Joined on 30 March, and is at 10 posts, with a whopping 20 TPE earned.  That’s already pretty impressive, but the even better news is that his build is solid.  He has the strength and checking ability to disrupt the offense, shot blocking in case that isn’t enough, and defensive awareness to know where to be.  His only offensive spending is in passing, which will limit turnovers.  On top of all of that he already got stamina to 60 since he knows he is going to be needed on the ice.  

Maksim Afayanskev (@kovalchuk): Joined on 2 April, and is already at 7 posts and 10 earned TPE, but what I love most is that he split his TPE between 14 different attributes (15 counting his update thread).  It’s always tough to guess which attributes will pay off, but chances are that whatever matters, he’s already started building it.  That makes him a pretty safe pick.  My only nitpick on his build has to do with the 19 TPE spent in Wrist Shooting.  For a “stay at home” defender, he is not going to be in range for many wrist shots.  

Enforcer
None (kinda surprising, really)

Offensive Defensemen
Theo Magnusson (@Tallinder): Joined on 30 March, has 9 posts, and has earned 20 TPE.  Magnusson is betting heavily that speed is the king attribute, and for a lot of sim engines, that is certainly the answer.  That said, I think he’ll be regretting spiking it to 75 so quickly.  His second-highest attribute is a tie, 65 in agility and offensive awareness.  He may be a bit too focused on going “coast to coast”, which is kind of bold with just 45 puck handling.  At least after he turns it over he can race back on defense and probably be back in time, so there’s that.

Nathan Meagher (@whydoesthisexist15): Joined on 30 March, has 7 posts, and a banana for a phone.  He’s earned 12 TPE as well.  His build, while slightly less coherent, does still fit his player role, and speed is his only attribute above 60 (with a 64 in updates).  I would recommend raising hand-eye to 60 next if he wants more quick slapshots.  

Two-way defensemen
Kevin Cushing (me): Joined on 30 March, has 14 posts (with this being post 15…killing it!), and earned all 27 TPE that has been made available, plus a couple of recruiting TPE.  Build-wise, he’s somewhat middle of the road, having now raised 11 attributes to 60 and working on number 12.  He lacks the physicality of most defensemen, which is definitely a gamble, but if I had to describe his priorities, I would call it “limiting mistakes.”  His TPE in discipline, defensive awareness, passing, and now puck handling are all about not putting his team in a bad situation, though I find it hard to imagine him really jumping off the stats page.  However, if he keeps up max earning, I expect he’ll emerge fairly quickly.  But remember, I am biased, since he is my player.

Spence King (@Spence King): Joined 1 April, and has 2 posts, his creation thread and an update thread.  The focus seems to be on awareness, with a 74 in Offensive Awareness and a 65 in Defensive Awareness.  With a 65 in speed and passing as well, I would guess that his concept is to collect loose pucks, find a forward in scoring position, and get it to him before the other team can pivot back to defense.  While I think it a bit aggressive a build, it does make sense, and I always applaud what appears to be a cohesive build strategy.

Well, that’s everyone so far!  Let me know what you think about their descriptions, and for all the users I tagged (if the tags worked) let me know if my assessment matched what you were hoping for or if my advice helped out at all. There may not be that many of us, but based on what I see so far, it's a solid group, and I look forward to kicking your asses.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum